ACI Laboratory Testing Technician - Level 2
Visit ACI's site to verify an individual's certification.
A Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician - Level 2 is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to properly perform, record, and report the results of advanced laboratory procedures for aggregates and concrete.
Scope and Knowledge
The program requires a working knowledge of the following ACI and ASTM documents:
- ACI 214 - Evaluation of Strength Test Results of Concrete
- ACI 211.1 - Selection Proportions for Concrete
- ASTM C192/C192M - Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Laboratory (This standard also requires the knowledge and ability to perform ASTM C143, C173 and C231, C138, and C1064)
- ASTM C470/C470M - Molds for Forming Concrete Test Cylinders Veritcally
- ASTM C496/C496M - Splitting Tensile Strength of Cylindrical Concrete Specimens
- ASTM C42/C42M - Obtaining and Testing Drilled Cores and Sawed Beams
Certification will be granted when individuals meet the following requirements:
- Have at least one year (2000 hours) of approved work experience or a combination of work experience and education, AND
- Hold current certification as an ACI Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician - Level 1
- Obtain a passing grade on the ACI written exam
- Successfully complete the ACI performance exam
The two hour written exam is open-book and consists of approximately 75 multiple choice questions. There are between eight and twelve questions on each of the documents. To pass the written exam, both of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required standards, AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall
The performance exam is closed-book and requires actual demonstration of ASTM Practice C192/C192M. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform or describe all the required procedures for each standard.
Recertification is every five years.