ACI Field Testing Technician Grade 1
Visit ACI's site to verify an individual's certification.
A Concrete Field Testing Technician - Grade I is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to properly perform and record the results of seven basic field tests on freshly mixed concrete.
Scope and Knowledge
The program requires a working knowledge of the following ASTM test methods and practices:
- C1064/C1064M - Temperature of Freshly Mixed Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C172 - Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete
- C143/C143M - Slump of Hyrdraulic-Cement Concrete
- C138/C138M - Density (Unity Weight), Yield, and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- C231 - Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- C173/C173M - Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by Volumetric Method
- C31/C31M - Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
1) A passing grade on the ACI written examination; and
The one-hour written examination is "closed book" and consists of 55 multiple choice questions. There are five (5) to ten (10) questions on each of the ASTM Standards. To pass the written examination, both of the following conditions must be met: (a) at least 60% correct for each of the required standards; and (b) a minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is also "closed book" and requires actual demonstration of six of the required ASTM Standards plus a verbal description of Sampling, ASTM C 172. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform or describe all of the required procedures for each standard.
Recertification is every five years.